Thursday, March 25, 2010

Simplicity In Eating, or What to do with Smoked Salmon When You Were Raised 2000 Miles From The Ocean

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't the best idea to start blogging a couple of weeks before a conference. Not only was I away in Oregon for a week, I spent the week or two prior to the conference trying to run those last experiments and prepare my presentation, so I didn't have time to cook anything that required more than a milligram of thought.

I always try to bring my wife something unique from the place I go when I have to travel without her, which usually ends up being food. Among the items brought back from Oregon was a package of smoked Pacific salmon -- something I haven't had the opportunity to really try before, at least as far as I can recall. I was a bit unsure what to do with it, and although I have a little bit of experience cooking with fish, I'm still not as adventurous with them as I am with most things, since the flavor is more likely to clash with anything I might try to concoct than say, beef or chicken.

So I decided to keep things simple. The salmon was pulled into little bits with a fork and sprinkled onto a toasted sesame bagel with a layer of cream cheese, along with some chopped scallions and some freshly-ground black pepper.


Man, was that a good idea!

The salmon had a strong but rich smoky-fishy flavor that was perfectly underlaid by the smoothness of the cream cheese, with the scallions offering *just* enough contrast with their clean, sharp taste.

There are times when I love to just throw all sorts of flavors together and see what comes out, but it's easy to forget that most foods have a whole assortment of flavors just on their own, like the salmon in this case. Sometimes it's great to go the route of simplicity, pairing the ingredient with a couple of complementary flavors or textures, but letting the complexity of the food do the flavoring for you. I expect to be doing more simple eating as we move into summer with its abundance of fresh, seasonal fruits and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment