Monday, November 29, 2010

Ricotta - White Wine Sauce

Hello all,
Tonight I'm going to share a quick, tasty sauce that I've made a few times now.
I'm going to give you the general recipe for the sauce, and then list a few variations that I've tried.

Sauce:
  • Olive Oil
  • 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
  • 1/2 large onion
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cup White Wine
  • A few splashes of white wine vinegar
  • 6-8 Heaping tablespoons of ricotta cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Fennel
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
1) Saute the garlic, onion, spices (expect salt) in the olive oil.
2) Add the white wine and vinegar and simmer for a few minutes.
3) Slowly stir in the ricotta a few spoonfuls at a time and simmer gently.
4) Once all the ricotta is added, add the Parmesan cheese and salt and simmer for 5-6 more minutes, until it thickens slightly. While it's simmering, taste it and see if it needs more salt and pepper (it probably will).
5) Serve over pasta.


That's it! Now, it'd be a fairly boring dish as is, so I've added a few veggies to help give the sauce a bit more body. I've tried adding peppers and broccoli to the sauce by sauteing them in with the garlic/onion/spices. I've also added spinach into the sauce by sauteing it quickly just before adding the white wine. Both have been pretty tasty.

So, basically, I've given the basics for many tasty dinners! Please experiment and leave any more tasty combination you find in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I subbed mascarpone for the ricotta because I had some I needed to use. also, added artichokes and olives. turned out delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use fennel root or fennel seeds and did you add at the end or when you sautéed garlic. Assuming the garlic was chopped or sliced versus whole. Looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete